Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Benefits of Teaching Araling Panlipunan on the part of an English Teacher (Content Focus on Emphasis)

At the first glance at the book of Araling Panlipunan, it is not only the students who feel so drowsy knowing the fact that this subject contains general information. Like in Grade 7, the subject is Philippine history which obviously tackles what happened before or even the current and future affairs of the country. The Araling Panlipunan 8 is all about Asia’s context while Araling Panlipunan 9 tells about the history of the world and included the discoveries on Earth. On the other hand, Araling Panlipunan 10’s description is Economics which probably emphasizes the Philippines’s economy as well as the other countries.
All of these subjects mention above are just easy but most of the students really get bored with the bulk pages of each book. There are also teachers handling and specializing social studies tend to give up because nowadays especially K-12 curriculum based books in Araling Panlipunan use English terms which make them so hard.
So what if your principal would assign you to handle Araling Panlipunan subject? Would you take that challenge as an English teacher? If I would be asked, my answer should be ‘Yes’. Why would I do that? Well, let me enumerate the benefits of teaching Araling Panlipunan.
First, I know I am trained or let me say I am accustomed to speaking English since my course is BSED- English. I know the fact that most books in Araling Panlipunan are written in Filipino terms. So, it is my chance to practice or even enhance my speaking skill especially the difficult words in Filipino. At least it would not be awkward if I talk with my students who are fund or who prefer speaking Filipino language to English language. Little by little, I can read fluently the terms. Also by that, I can communicate well with Filipino teachers. It’s amazing, isn’t it? I’d like to emphasize this word, “Nakakapagpabagabag”.
Wait, there’s more. Handling Araling Panlipunan is not that easy just what other think. Based on my experience especially that I am a fresh teacher or even old ones confessed that they still had to read the contents of the book. Every year or once in three years (depending on the school) the books whether in grade 7 or 10 are changed. For instance, this year’s publisher is Vibal, and then next year is Phoenix. It is very important to note that reading is a “must”. So by teaching Aral.Pan, one has to really read every night before he discusses the lesson to his students. He has to be cautious for there are students who are three steps away from our knowledge when it comes to this subject.  He has to be careful what he imparts because mostly, the contents of this subject are general knowledge which means that the knowledge that the students got from us would be brought wherever or whenever they are. Take note that there are books that contain wrong information or not reliable ones even the newly published books and as an English teacher turned to Aral.Pan teacher, we need to make it as a habit. We must be thankful that our laziness in reading will be somehow eradicated or decreased. Oh, it’s motivating, right? Read now!
Do you think it is over? Well, wake up! Another thing is by handling this subject; we can recall our past knowledge. Nay, do not say you remembered everything because according to some experts on brain-based strategies, we can only remember things/ideas in just 1 to 18 seconds unless they go to long term memory. Anyhow, it is called as past knowledge since you already stored the ideas in your memory bank. So you are lucky because at least you can share to your students what you learned. You will not have a hard time explaining the lesson to the class. Good job! Good job if during your elementary, secondary or even tertiary days you did not just sleep. Shame on you!
Excited to know more about the benefits? Relax. It is so advantageous for us English teachers to handle this subject because as what I have said earlier, some words are written in English terms. Good things that you are considered as a “walking dictionary”. No, no… I know that every lesson, we encounter unfamiliar words which really need to be browsed. We have to laugh because when our students ask the meaning of that word, we can now easily give or answer them. Just tell your memory to function right away or else you would say, “Okay, class that’s your assignment”. Never do that, please.
Lastly, yes this would be the last benefit. Calm down. This is the most important one. Please bear in mind, “the most important one”. As you’ve been focused on your English subjects, you tend to forget to scan or broaden your knowledge about the other subjects. Don’t just study one. Be a voracious reader. I know that you don’t know everything on Earth but at least you would not miss the very important topic. Like in my experience, I just knew that Germany caused all troubles in World War I and World War II. Ooops! I am not anti-German, I don’t invent stories. I read not only one book but more than one. I also watched videos related to World wars.

Wanna know if these things are true? I tell you, handle Araling Panlipunan. It is not boring but interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment